watermelon granita

Monday, July 9, 2012

The heat can do crazy things to ones state of mind.

Friday, after work (yes I'm working part-time, another time we'll go over it) I had an intense craving for watermelon.

Like crazy, pregnant woman intense craving. (no I'm not pregnant, don't be thinking crazy like that)

So naturally I'm thinking, let's pack Avery up in the stroller and let's walk in the sun to go get a watermelon. Totes perfect idea.

But here's where the heat makes you crazy. Of course I'm not going to go to the TWO grocery stores literally five steps from my house, I decide to walk to a specific produce store. A 45 minute walk, one way, from my house.


Doesn't seem so bad yet right? But I decide to walk at 3:30 in the afternoon when it's about 27 degrees outside (that's 80 F for my American friends) so naturally it feels like it's about four thousand degrees outside. Whatever, I'm out enjoying the sun after all the rain, working on my tan, and Avery likes the fresh air.

Arrive at the produce store. Watermelons are priced at ¢49 a pound, so of course, I look for the biggest one I can find. My watermelon cost $11.35.  I bought a 23 pound watermelon. Which I now have to put in the stroller and push along with a 13 pound child, my diaper bag which weighs at least 10 pounds, and the stroller itself which probably weighs 25 pounds. For 45 minutes. Up hill most of the way. In flip-flops.


I ate ice cream on the way home to make up for all the unintentional calories I burned.

So because I bought a stupidly enormous watermelon, I literally have a shit-ton of it. Not that it's a bad thing, but I cut 3/4 of it and it filled the biggest bowl I own so I needed to find a recipe to use up the last quarter.

Thanks PW for helping me beat the heat and keep the crazies away.


Watermelon granita
[ from Pioneer Woman ]

8 cups of seedless watermelon chunks, 1/2-1/3 watermelon rind removed and cut into chunks
juice of 2 limes
1/3 cup white sugar

In a blender, combine half of the watermelon, half of the lime juice, and half of the sugar. Blend until completely smooth, pour into a large bowl. Repeat with remaining watermelon, lime juice, and sugar.

Pour watermelon mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish and place in the freezer for 2 - 3 hours.
Remove from freezer and with a spoon, scrape the frozen layer. The sides will be more frozen and the middle will be almost slushy. Return to freezer for another 2 - 3 hours, repeat scraping process. Continue freezing and scraping until the entire mixture is frozen and scraped. Served frozen in fancy glasses.

and a picture of Jackson. Just cause. Check my pink pants and the husband's dirty foot.