s'mores ice cream

Monday, August 1, 2011

I have a new obsession.

Pinterest. Have you been on it? It's ah-maze-ing.

It's sort of like a place to create digital inspiration boards. I find it extremely helpful with sorting my bookmarks for recipes. So, the idea is that you "pin" something to a board, for example a recipe board, and not only does it show you a pretty picture of what it is, it will link back to the original source.

It's also a really good place to avoid working, for hours and hours and hours. You get the idea...


Through my hours, upon hours of travelling through pinterest, I've come across alot of recipes or adaptations of s'mores. Whether it be a s'mores brownie, or a s'mores cupcake or this amazing looking s'mores popcorn. After looking at all these things, I had an overwhelming craving for s'mores.

I was not going to go camping, because honestly, I'm not outdoorsy and I don't like camping, even less do I like campfires, it makes my hair smell. But I love ice cream. But who doesn't, really?


Most recipe I came across either had a vanilla ice cream base with a s'mores chunk stirred in, or involved marshmallow fluff, but I felt like a deep, dark, rich, chocolate ice cream. So, I just made up my own recipe.
I found the base recipe from brown eyed baker, which she adapted from David Lebovitz. The base for this ice cream tastes like a giant chocolate milkshake. To make it s'more-y, I added mini marshmallows, crushed graham cracker and dark chocolate chips.


Perfect s'mores taste, without the nasty side effect of smelly hair.

S'mores ice cream
[ inspired by Brown Eyed Baker and David Lebovitz ]

2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
pinch of salt
5 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
3/4 cup crushed graham crackers
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, whisk together 1 cup heavy cream and cocoa powder. Heat until just about to boil, stirring frequently so the milk doesn't burn. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate and let sit for 3-4 minutes, or until all the chocolate has melted, stir until smooth. Stir in the remaining cup of heavy cream and pour through a mesh strainer which is rested over a large bowl. Set aside.

In the same saucepan, heat the milk, sugar and salt over medium heat until just warm to the touch. In another medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks until well blended. Slowly pour the warmed milk into the egg yolks, whisking vigorously as you pour. Once all the milk has been added, pour the milk/egg mixture back into the saucepan and heat over medium.

Stir continuously with a rubber spatula, making sure to scrape the bottom until mixture thickens or reaches 170 degrees F on an instant read thermometer. Once you have reached the desired consistency, pour the egg/milk mixture through a mesh strainer into the bowl with the chocolate mixture. Stir well to combine.


Cover mixture with plastic wrap, and chill thoroughly in the refrigerator, preferably overnight, but 4 - 6 hours should suffice.

Churn through your ice cream maker as per the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer churned ice cream to a freezer safe container and freeze until hard, about 4 hours.