broccoli slaw

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Summer can come with some side effects that are not so pretty.

Mosquito bites (which I have three of on my right foot), overheating (especially while straightening my incredibly curly, unruly hair), and the worst of all, very unsightly tan lines.


I've been really trying to avoid getting the dreaded tank top tan lines on the chest and shoulder, and I think with my excessive wear of strapless maxi dresses, I've conquered that.

But, I have another very odd tan line.

It's on my right knee. It's a band aid tan line.


I tan very easily, especially on my legs, props to my mom for giving me olive skin and preventing me from having the creamy, white Dutch skin that burns so easily. The only problem with tanning easily is that when I wear shorts and I'm wearing a band aid on my right knee, I get a horrible tan line that is so noticeable that the husband pointed it out yesterday.

I should put bronzer on it. Or just tan my knee somehow. Or just leave the band aid on all summer. I am ridiculous.

Besides figuring out how to tan my right knee, I've been making alot of salads. I love broccoli slaw. I love the crunch of the raw broccoli, the sweetness from the buttermilk dressing, the fanciness of the cranberries and almond slices and the sweet tartness of the red onion. Now, for a lot of people, raw broccoli is hard to take, you can quickly blanch the broccoli and then run it under cold water to stop the cooking process and then continue as the recipe says by cutting the florets into small pieces.


This is a great recipe to make on a Sunday afternoon for a family BBQ or to have for your lunches all week. Which really is what we all want for summer anyways right?


Broccoli Slaw
[ adapted from Smitten Kitchen]

2 heads broccoli
1/2 cup thinly sliced almonds, toasted if you like, I didn't
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1/2 cup buttermilk, well shaken
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar


Trim broccoli and cut into large chunks. From here you can run the broccoli chunks through the food processor to make bit sized chunks or just chop it up finely with your knife. I did the latter.
Toss the chopped up broccoli, almonds, dried cranberries and red onion in a large bowl, set aside.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, and sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper. I find the salad needs a little more pepper than salt, but it's all up to your own taste.

Pour dressing over salad and toss to coat. can be stored in the fridge for about a week, just make sure to toss the salad again before serving, the dressing settles to the bottom.